Thursday, May 24, 2012

Kah Tequila

Yes, I have another liquor whose bottle is in the shape of a skull. What can I say? I like skulls. At least it’s not another rum, so nobody can really bitch about variety.


Review :

Firstly, I should say that the bottle I received was a gift, so I had to do a good amount of research. Other than my own opinions, don’t be surprised if you see a little recycled language. Now that that is out of the way, To the Tequila! This particular type of tequila is bottled in a skull bottle similar to the Crystal Head Vodka, only decorated in a “Day of the Dead” manner. The one I had was the Reposado, so the bottle itself was yellow, and had a cool little devil on the forehead. Kah Tequila has 3 varieties that I can tell you can choose from depending on your tastes. I personally am not much of a snob when it comes to booze, so my friend knew to get the one that had the highest alcohol content. The three varieties are obviously Blanco or white, Reposado or aged, and Anejo which is aged longer than the Reposado. The bottle of Reposado that I had was 110 proof, or 55% alcohol. It is aged 10 months in French Oak barrels, which I think created a lot of the subtle flavors. As usual, my first taste was a shot. After finding it to be surprisingly smooth for a tequila with that high of an alcohol content, I went with a glass full. This is definitely a tequila that can be sipped like a Scotch for those of you that are not a huge fan of mixed drinks like myself. There was a bit of a burn, like you would expect with a tequila, but it dies off extremely quick. Then you are left with what seemed like vanilla and cinnamon after tones. If you do like mixed drinks, you can probably try it with some orange juice and have it pair fairly well. As Far as availability goes, I know my roommate had to actually order the bottle he got me online. I have seen it on the Bevmo website, and I cannot seem to find an official website for them. So in all reality it may be a little difficult to find. However, if you do, I suggest getting a bottle in any of the varieties.


Breakdown :

The Bottle : Again, another skull shaped bottle. These ones are all decorated to look like “Day of the Dead” masks, so they are pretty macabre if you have no idea what that is about. Of the three that I have seen, there is the yellow bottle that contains the Reposado, the Tequila Blanco comes in a bottle with a white face with black designs, and the Anejo comes in a black faced bottle with white designs. If none of these are really your thing, you can easily cut the plastic wrapping and be left with a clear skull bottle. Or throw the damn thing away, I don’t care.

Score : 25

The Taste : Like I said, after an initial burn that you can expect from a liquor with this alcohol content, or a tequila in general, the taste is fairly smooth. You do get that warm feeling in your throat once you knock it back, but nothing too harsh to really deter you from drinking more of it. I drank mine straight up, no ice this time because I find that makes tequilas taste too much like medicine. If you were to mix it with anything, I would probably take the juice route, or even making a margarita out of it. If you want to do shot, then coke does almost amplify the vanilla you get after the burn wears off.

Score : 20

The Buzz : I got drunk fairly easy because I hadn’t had anything to eat before I started drinking. After a few glasses, I decided to snack on some chips, and found that I didn’t get that weird feeling you get when you start to eat after you get a buzz going. All in all, a very mellow buzz.

Score : 20


The Cost : This would be the only downside. Much like the Crystal Head Vodka, you are not only paying for a premium liquor, but the fancy bottles and shipping as well. So it gets pretty costly. I have found the full sized bottles ranging in price depending on the style that you get. Starting with the Tequila Blanco, you can find for around $45. The Reposado you can find between $45 and $50. The biggest price tag comes from the Anejo, which is usually around $60. These are all for the standard 750 ML bottles, I have yet to see anything bigger than that, but they do have the miniature Reposado 50 ML bottles available.

Score : 5

Total Score : 70

For the money, Kah it probably one of the best Tequilas I have ever had, and I have had a lot of tequila in my time. The price is pretty much the only thing that really kills this particular product. If they could cut the price of every bottle by about $20, then it would easily worth every penny. If you do find yourself grabbing a bottle, please do try it the way that I had it. Ice would just ruin it, and freezing it before drinking would just defeat the flavors and aromas that you get from it.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment