Thursday, May 17, 2012

Bacardi Oakheart

Yes, this is only the 3rd actual review I’ve posted, and it does feature yet another Rum. What can I say? Rum is just in this year. I’m kidding, fashion trends are for losers.



What can be said for Bacardi other than they are possible the world’s most well known brand of Rum. Sure Captain Morgan is pretty famous too, but last I checked they only had like 3 variations of their Rum. Anyways, from what I can tell, this is probably Bacardi’s first dive into the spiced rum game, and I must say, bravo. Although this particular product only rings in at 35% alcohol, or 70 proof, it is still a damn fine liquor. Barcardi has taken their amber rums, kept them in charred American Oak (because any other kind of wood would support Communism) barrels, and let it sit for close to 3 years before spicing the mixture up. If you were to drink it straight or on the rocks, you get hints of vanilla, cinnamon, and even a kind of maple taste. All of which makes the addition of coke not only a classic combo, but a must try. And believe me, I am not just kissing their asses just because they sent me a free Oakheart Stein a while back. It did help though, the thing is pretty damn cool. Nonetheless, this stuff has all of the benefits of being a great spiced rum with the smoky flavor that you get from the charred barrels. Each shot is like a flavor explosion. Maybe now they’ll send me 2 Steins! Now, as far as finding this stuff goes, I did run into a snag. The last two products I reviewed allowed you to search for nearby locations that carry their product on their website. Unfortunately the Bacardi website is not yet up to date in allowing you to do so. I do know for a fact that both BevMo and Rite Aid carry Oakheart, as well as a bunch of Grocery stores like Raley’s and Bel Air. I have not seen it at my local liquor store, but I am sure if enough people ask then they would probably get a case to test run it.


Breakdown :

The Bottle : Standard Bacardi bottle. I am beginning to get a little disappointed with how lame these bottles look. The usual one you get is just a standard, rounded bottle, with a cool little bat on it. The bat is seriously the only selling point as far as the bottle is concerned.

Score : 5

The Taste : This was yet another liquor that definitely tastes good on the rocks. Or you can even chill it and it would probably be great on it’s own. I say probably because I usually drink my liquor warm so as to not disturb any of the flavors. It does however taste excellent with Coke, and like I said before, I enjoy my spiced rums with Sprite which is equally as delicious. All in all, excellent flavor.

Score : 25

The Buzz : This stuff is about 5% less alcohol by volume than other rums. However, if you buy in bulk like I do, there will be no problem getting a good buzz from it. I think the fact that it actually does contain less alcohol may be what makes it slightly more pleasing to the taste buds. The best part was that I didn’t get that weird stomach feeling in the morning that you get from some sweeter liquors, so I had not real hangover symptoms. Not that I ever would anyways because I don’t get hungover.

Score : 20

The Cost : Oakheart is surprisingly cheap, especially when comparing to other brands like a Captain Morgan. I was able to find the 750 ML bottle for between $11-$13. An even better deal is the 1.75 Liter bottle, which I was able to get for $20 a bottle. Since it is more available than the other products I have reviewed so far, you can probably find it for a good sale price. Considering all the other factors, this stuff is a good deal even if you do pay the suggested retail price.

Score : 25


Total Score : 75

Everything taken into consideration, this is probably my new favorite spiced rum. It mixes well and tastes great on its own. Something that you would probably never hear me say about Captain. And for the price, and how available it is, you would be crazy not to try it. Also, if you follow Oakheart on Facebook, they do have contests all the time, so who knows, you might get a free stein too. Probably not, but who knows, I’m just a professional drinker not Nostrafuckingdamus.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment