Thursday, January 31, 2013

Jim Beam Red Stag Spiced

I was all set to try the new Crown Royal Maple, but when I got the liquor I noticed that I could get the two newer flavors of Red Stag for the same price.



Review :

Being a fan of Jim Beam in general, I always worry when products like these come out with new flavors. Of course I was surprised with how much I enjoyed their “Devil’s Cut”, so I had to try this one. The bottle lists it as being spiced with cinnamon, and you do get a good cinnamon flavor, but nothing overwhelming like a handful of Big Red bubble gum. The sweetness and initial mouth feel make this a very smooth shot. As usual, I tried it mixed with coke, cherry coke to be exact. I have to say that the cinnamon undertones paired well with the cherry flavor. And since the Red Stag was not too sweet, mixing didn’t make the coke taste like a cup of sugar. This flavor comes in at 80 proof or 40% alcohol by volume. I got mine for $16, but it looks like the standard retail price for it is about $18, but given that the alcohol content doesn’t get lowered because it is a flavored line, I think it ends up being entirely worth it.


Breakdown :

The Bottle : All Jim Beam products have the same standard bottle. The only thing that really changes depending on the type that you are buying is the label. At least the Devil’s Cut had a pretty cool looking label. The only thing that looks like it changes with the Red Stag is the color of the label.

Score : 5

The Taste : This stuff tastes great. I happen to love cinnamon, and the cinnamon flavor is there, but also fairly subtle. It has some sweetness to it, but not too sweet. The thing I liked the most was how smooth it was, but with a slight bite at the end, and the warmth in your throat that I usually get with some vodkas.

Score : 25

The Buzz : I got smashed. Being 40% alcohol and easy to drink made for me killing this bottle quick. You may want to pace yourself if you try it out.

Score : 20

The Cost : Like I said, I got two bottles of Red Stag for the price I would have paid for just one Crown Royal Maple, so in that sense it was a deal. However, on the same shelf there was the regular Jim Beam for about $4 less that what this cost. I personally think it was worth it for the drink ability and the alcohol content. So you will have to judge for yourself, but for me……

Score : 20

Total Score : 70

The only thing really holding this back from being one of the higher rated products on this blog was the absence of a really cool bottle. If it had a cork instead of being a screw on cap, that would have been an easy 5 points. Just saying.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment