Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sailor Jerry's Rum

Was low on stuff to review this week. Finances and all. Plus nobody has really had any suggestions for me that I could have grabbed in time, nor have any readers or alcohol companies sent me stuff to try.



Review :

I first tried Sailor Jerry after visiting the grocery store and noticing that they didn’t have Bacardi Oakheart or Captain Morgan. For some reason I decided to try it with Orange Juice. Have to say, the combo wasn’t too bad. I tried it again a few weeks later with coke, and it paired fairly well with that too. The taste of Sailor Jerry’s is a pretty sweet, almost caramel flavor, and given its slightly elevated alcohol content. This stuff comes in at 92 proof or 46% alcohol by volume. I liked the bite at the end because it keeps me from completely chugging this like I would other spiced rums, so I was able to enjoy my buzz. The bottle I got was about $17, but it was on sale at the grocery store I was at, so you may be paying a bit more, or might be able to find it cheaper than what I paid. Since I did find it at a grocery store, and know that they do have it at BevMo, you should have no problem finding it.


Breakdown :

The Bottle : Pretty standard bottle. The only real draw is the label, if you are into cartoon pirate chicks. It’s a screw top, which I think kills some of the whimsy of a pirate related drink. A cork would have bumped up the points for me in this category.

Score : 5

The Taste : I actually enjoyed the taste. Mixing with a fresh bottle of coke almost made it taste like Root Beer. Like I said before though, there is a slight bite in the finish, and I know that isn’t for everyone. It made it so that I would sip my drink as opposed to just downing it.

Score : 20

The Buzz : I had a great buzz. Mostly because I was sipping it. I did get that sugar crash feeling the next day, but nothing hangover-esque.

Score : 20

The Cost : The downside was the price on it. I think if its standard retail price was about $14 a bottle, I probably would have bought it more often. For about the price of the 750ML bottle, I probably could have gotten a Liter of Oakheart.

Score : 10

Total Score : 55

I liked this stuff, but had to be a little harsh on some of the scoring. If it had a cooler looking bottle, and was a little cheaper, it probably could have been the highest rated rum on here.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment