Thursday, November 1, 2012

Kilo Kai Spiced Rum

Halloween may be over, but that hasn’t stopped this booze blog.






For this review, I literally went through all of the isles at BevMo and tried to find something I hadn’t had before. I came across this rum, and decided to give it a try. This particular Rum is supposed to have hints of things like vanilla, cinnamon, and other spices. All of that, in addition to the fact that it is distilled from molasses, and is aged 3 years in old whiskey barrels gives this rum a fairly sweet and all over great flavor. I actually preferred it over the Captain Morgan I had the previous day, but will still take Bacardi’s Oakheart if given a choice. I had an initial shot, and thought that it had great mouth feel, good taste in general, and a very smooth finish. It went excellent with coke, and just sipping in a glass on the rocks. This does come in at only 35% alcohol content, or 70 proof like most spiced rum. Like I said, I found my bottle at BevMo, and haven’t seen it anywhere else so far. They unfortunately do not have a store locator on their site, but I am sure that if you check out some other online retailers, they may have it.


Breakdown :

The Bottle : This stuff has an awesome looking bottle. I have to admit that it was part of the reason I bought it to begin with. It has a brown, almost flat paint look to it. Not too mention, the logo looks freaking badass. Almost Punisher-esque. A real eye catcher. The only way it could have been any cooler would have been the inclusion of a cork rather than a regular screw on cap.

Score : 20

The Taste : This is a great tasting rum. It is fairly sweet, but wont give you the feeling that you ate too many snicker bars in the morning. Even if you do drink it with coke.

Score : 20

The Buzz : I am actually liking this trend of spiced rums that don’t leave you with that sugar crash feeling then next day. I had a very mellow buzz, and it lasted the duration of the night. Very pleasing.

Score : 20

The Cost : This stuff is about $18 for a 750ML bottle, even with the Club Bev card. To give you some comparison, the same size Captain Morgan is about $15, and the same size Bacardi Oakheart is only about $12. So if you really want to try it, I would say it is worth the price, but my old stand by is always going to be the Oakheart.

Score : 15

Total Score : 75

I guess considering the way the bottle looks, this stuff probably would have been a good choice for Halloween, but there is always next year. I would say that it’s definitely worth trying, and tell me that you do not want to talk like a Pirate.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment