Thursday, October 4, 2012

Malibu Red

Getting back in the swing of things, here is something that I guess is pretty new.



Review :

I guess Malibu released this some time in March this year. I didn’t hear about it, but I tend to follow vodka and whiskey more than rums. Anyways, this is supposed to be a blend of a smooth Caribbean rum, coconut liqueur, and clear tequila. I must say, bravo. I wasn’t able to finish a whole bottle because my roommate bought it and I didn’t want to down all his booze. We did have a chance to try it with both lemonade and orange juice. The lemonade was very good, we even added a splash of the Pinnacle Cherry flavored Vodka and made it into a killer cocktail. I think it paired even better with the orange juice though, simple yet elegant. The coconut isn’t very overpowering, so it made mixing much better. The tequila is almost nil, I couldn’t have told you that it was there if I didn’t read the label. Since this is technically a flavored Rum, it only rings in at 35% alcohol, but with all the possibilities for mixes, you shouldn’t have trouble getting a buzz. My roommate got his bottle from Bevmo, so I know for sure that it is there. Normally it is about $19 for a bottle, but if you have your ClubBev card it should run about $16. Unfortunately, the Malibu Rum website doesn’t seem to have a store locator, so you may want to try to find another way to see if someone near you has it. Or go to BevMo.


Breakdown :

The Bottle : Very cool bottle. Given the name and the big red ring on the label, I honestly though this stuff was going to be red in color, but it’s completely clear. Not being a very big Malibu fan, I probably wouldn’t have thought of trying this stuff before, but the bottle alone is very attractive.

Score : 20

The Taste : This stuff tastes great. A little syrupy if you try to take shots of it, but pairs excellent with both lemonade and orange juice, so I have to imagine it would pair well with various other fruit juices.

Score : 20

The Buzz : I did get a buzz. However, I have to equally contribute it to the things that I was mixing it with. If flavored vodkas are any indicators, I would probably need to polish off about a bottle and a half of this by itself to get the same buzz I had.

Score : 15

The Cost : Pretty reasonably priced considering it’s versatility, and because I get the BevMo discount. Although, for the price you could probably find something stronger, but probably wouldn’t taste as good.

Score : 15

Total Score : 70

If you are looking for something that looks good sitting in your freezer when you have company over that tastes good, you’ll probably love this. If you are just looking to get hammered on a Friday night, I’d go with the UV 103.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment