Thursday, June 14, 2012

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita

I know I said that I wouldn’t be reviewing beer on here, luckily, this isn’t considered a beer product.



Review :

I have to admit, that when I had first heard that Bud was going to come out with this, I was a little skeptical. I have heard of people who would put beer in their margarita, my mother included, and it sounded interesting, but not something that made me jump out of my seat. The first time I tried this little concoction, It wasn’t on ice, it wasn’t blended, it wasn’t even in a cup, I just swigged it out of the can. In doing so, I had some very bad things to say. Immediately I tasted the lime, but I have never been a big fan of artificial lime flavoring, and that is what it tasted like. Then there was a bit of sweetness, but that got overshadowed by a strange flat beer taste. Didn’t like it at all, and I made sure to make my initial feelings known to my Facebook friends. However, I was told from about 3 or 4 people that I needed to drink it like it was an actual margarita, not a margarita flavored beer. So I tried it again, this time on the rocks. I must say that it helped the taste immensely. It wasn’t as syrupy and the harshness I experienced in the first trial was mellowed out once it was diluted a bit. I did a bit of research as to why I had the flat beer taste initially, and found that it is was probably because this product is not beer based, but a malt liquor based beverage similar to a Mike’s Hard Lemonade or a Mickey’s. I did enjoy the fact that it wasn’t overly carbonated, because if it were it would probably have just reminded me of a really weird tasting soda. The version of this product that I tried was the 8 oz can size, and I do say version because it does come in three sizes, and the alcohol content may vary depending on where you live because of local laws. Luckily, where I live, we are able to have the 8% variation. I have found it in at least 3 major grocery store chains, so I have to imagine it is fairly easy to get a hold of.


Breakdown :

The Bottle : Apparently, this stuff comes in a 8oz can, which looks like one of those Starbucks Double Espresso Shots you can get at the gas station, an 12 oz bottle, which I have yet to see, or a 24 oz can which is about the size of your average beer can. All in all, I will say it was cool of Budweiser to give some variety as far as how much you can purchase based on how much you plan on drinking. The smaller cans seem like they would be easier to carry around if you wanted to bring these to the beach or something. I wouldn’t know, I hate the beach.

Score : 15

Taste : Like I said, if you try to knock one of these back straight out of the can is not recommended. Just follow my friends advice and don’t treat it like a margarita flavored beer, treat it like a ready made margarita mix. It was way better tasting on ice, and I have to imagine that for the people who prefer blended margaritas that the lack of carbonation would make it easier to keep everything in your blender.

Score : 15

The Buzz : I didn’t get one. I will however attribute this to the fact that I did not actually go out and buy a 12 pack of these things, I just snagged two from my moms fridge. If I were to drink an entire 12 pack or even a 24 pack, I know from other malted beverages that I probably would have gotten a short, but mellow buzz.

Score : 0 (can’t Honestly Judge)

The Cost : I have seen this stuff go for about $12 for the 12 pack of 8 oz cans. Depending on where you go, you might be able to find it cheaper. Which would make the cost of this product about $1 per margarita, which is actually better than most bar’s happy hour price.

Score : 20

Total Score :50 (+/-)

If I had actually went out and bought a case and found whether or not it gave me a buzz would have definitely affected the score. If it was at all similar to the last time I got drunk off of Smirnoff Ice, then I would probably be able to give it a seal of approval as “Must Get” item. Nonetheless, It was fairly decent for the price that I have seen it go for, so there you go.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment